New study: what happens if you swallow a LEGO?

Scientists are not sitting idle. This time they decided to feed volunteers items from Lego, namely the head of the toy man. This item ranked second in the frequency with which children ingest it. The first are coins.

The results of the study were published in the journal of Pediatrics and Child Health

How was the experiment?

Scientists have invited six adult volunteers from the Internet community physicians-pediatricians. The authors initially excluded those who had surgery on the gastrointestinal tract, trouble swallowing or “aversion to finding objects in feces”.

All six doctors swallowed circuits. After that they were asked to keep a diary describing their own chair. And each volunteer had to carefully examine their feces to find the toy.

And what happened?

It turned out that stepping on LEGO is even worse than swallow it. Thanks to the courage of volunteers, the scientists found that after a few days she goes out of the body naturally. While it does not cause the body any harm.

The toys ranged from one to three days. On average, the toy went through 41 hours after it was swallowed.

However, the authors noted that this small study, and participated in it for adults only. And they said that the toys of different shapes and different sizes may require different times to pass. In addition, one volunteer failed to detect the toy in the feces.

What of this conclusion?

Circuits LEGO definitely not the healthiest food. But, if suddenly your child has swallowed them, panic is also not necessary: the toy is inert and is likely in the coming days she will leave the body of your Chad. However, in case of any symptoms (abdominal pain, malaise) it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor.

Scientists also noted that the greatest danger to the child’s body represent very different things: such as batteries or medicines. Here they need to be as careful as possible and if that, just to beat all the bells.

Another important study was conducted by scientists from the University of Manchester. They asked the question “What happens if you don’t change your toothbrush every 3 months?”. And we described the results of the experiment in detail.